Re: post-editing of ncl figures

From: Kate Hedstrom <kate_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:09:58 -0900

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 12:56:08PM -0800, James McPhee wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I need to edit (add arrows and other annotations) some figures
> generated with ncl. I could use GIMP or Inkscape, which work on tiff
> files. I tried using convert foo.eps foo.tiff but all fonts turn
> grainy (loss of resolution). Has someone had any experience doing
> this (switching between file formats) without loss of resolution?
>
> Thanks
>
> James
>
> PS: I understand this is not really an ncl issue, but any help will
> be greatly appreciated!

What you are running into here is the difference between vector
graphics and pixel graphics. eps is vector, tiff is pixel. For
publication quality images, you want to keep it in vector land. I
don't know about Inkscape, but GIMP and Photoshop both work in pixel
land. My favorite vector graphics package is xfig, but then I started
using it back when it was called fig.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vector_graphics_editors

Kate

--
Kate Hedstr�m       Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
kate_at_arsc.edu       University of Alaska, Fairbanks