Re: Min and Max values of a Label Bar

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:09:42 -0700

Hi Erwan,

One of the best things about NCL is that you can do practically anything
with the graphics. Unfortunately, you have come upon one of the few
things that you cannot change. There is currently no way that this can
be done in NCL, beyond setting it manually. (Very frustrating.)

This feature has been requested a few times in the past by Dennis, and I
see that it is on the NCL developers priority list but it is farther
down that Dennis or I would like it to be. We will push to get this
implemented in the near future.

In the meantime, I would suggest the following:

1) Set lbLabelFontHeightF, and set cnM**LevelValF = -0.8/0.8
2) Use drawNDCGrid to draw the NDC grid on the workstation:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Shea_util/drawNDCGrid.shtml
3) Create a text resource list and set the font height = to the label
bar label font height. Then use gsn_text_ndc to add the labels.

ex.
pres_at_cnLevelSelectionMode = "ManualLevels" ; manual contour levels
pres_at_cnMinLevelValF = -1 ; min level
pres_at_cnMaxLevelValF = 1 ; max level
pres_at_cnLevelSpacingF = 0.2 ; contour level spacing
pres_at_lbLabelFontHeightF = 0.015
pres_at_gsnFrame = False
plot = gsn_csm_contour_map_ce(wks,arr,res)
txres = True
txres_at_txFontHeightF = pres_at_lbLabelFontHeightF
gsn_text_ndc(wks,"-1.0",0.4,0.3,txres)
gsn_text_ndc(wks,"1.0", 0.6,0.3,txres)
drawNDCGrid() ; load shea_util.ncl to use
frame(wks)
end

Good luck,
Adam