Re: a question about topography shading

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:21:40 -0700

Hi Xianglei,

There is not a built-in topography file available in NCL. However, you
could accurately mask the Z850 field by comparing the surface pressure
field to it and masking all points whose PS < 850hPa...

Thus, using ind:

a = addfile("hgt.mon.mean.nc","r")
hgt = a->hgt(:,{500.},:,:)

b = addfile("pres.mon.mean.nc","r")
psfc = b->pres

psind = ind(ndtooned(psfc).lt.850)
hgt1D = ndtooned(hgt)
hgt1D(psind) = hgt1D@_FillValue
hgt = (/ onedtond(hgt1D,dimsizes(hgt)) /)
delete(hgt1D)
delete(psind)

or you can use mask (easier):

a = addfile("hgt.mon.mean.nc","r")