Re: paleo_outline() and "mpDataSetName" problem with the new version 4.2.0.a034

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 07:50:13 -0600

Hi All,

 From Nan's email, it sounds like the newest version of NCL (4.3.0)
may fix the problem. The paleo_outline routine itself has not changed
since before version 4.2.0.a033 was released, so I'm not sure what's
causing the problems. I will try to find a code to run locally so I
can at least verify that it works with 4.3.0 and why.

--Mary

On Apr 2, 2007, at 7:04 AM, Nan Rosenbloom wrote:

> Hi Mary -
>
> This is the same paleo_outline problem that we have seen before. I
> get around it by using ncl.new. I just tested ncl 4.2.0.a34
> locally and it hangs, just as Yonggang Liu experienced. When I use
> ncl.new the code runs fine.
>
> nanr
>
> Mary Haley wrote:
>> Dear Yonggang Liu,
>>
>> This particular map is not a part of the NCL distribution. It
>> looks like somebody made a customized map database for you (or
>> your site) that contains a map of the Neoproterozoic era, and then
>> the files associated with this customized map were not copied over
>> with the new installation of NCL. Generally, these custom files
>> would be in the directory "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/database" and
>> called "neo_2x2.lines" and "neo_2x2.names".
>>
>> However you are loading this database with:
>>
>> "mpDataSetName" : "./neo_2x2"
>>
>> and the "./" (I think) means that it will look for the files in
>> your current working directory.
>>
>> So, you might want to check with the person who installed the new
>> version of NCL on your system and ask if they forgot to copy these
>> "neo_2x2" files over, or find out if they were supposed to be in
>> some other directory that perhaps got clobbered or moved.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> --Mary
>>

>> On Apr 1, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Yonggang Liu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> My code was working under version 4.2.0.a033, but it stopped
>>> working after NCL on the server was upgraded to 4.2.0.a034. The
>>> code is below, trying to plot a map of Neoproterozoic (~600Ma)
>>> time. The orography file was created by myself from a database
>>> somewhere also from NCAR. The problem will appear when the code
>>> is running to the line
>>>
>>> "mpDataSetName" : "./neo_2x2"
>>>
>>> then it will stuck there, without giving any error message. I
>>> also tried another orography file, the same thing happened again.
>>>
>>> I have no idea how to fix this because there is no error message.
>>> Can any one help me on this. Many of my scripts are dependent on
>>> this function.
>>>

>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/shea_util.ncl"
>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
>>> ;************************************************
>>>
>>> begin
>>>
>>> in = addfile("neo_orography_2x2.nc","r")
>>> oro=in->oro(0,:,:)
>>> latmp=in->lat
>>> lonmp=in->lon
>>> paleo_outline(oro,latmp,lonmp,1.,"neo_2x2")
>>>
>>> wks = gsn_open_wks("ps","oro_test"); open a ps file
>>> gsn_define_colormap(wks,"gui_default")
>>>
>>> vpXF = 0.2 ; make plot bigger
>>> vpYF = 0.8
>>> vpWidthF = 0.6