Re: Reading ECMWF ERA40 117.1 data

From: Rick Grubin <grubin_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:13:48 -0600

Hi Tiane

>> I'm struggling to read out variables inside the ECMWF ERA40 117.1
>> data sets.
>> So I opt to NCL and followed the example 4 in the tutorial
>> section.But I still get message like:
>> "fatal:An internal error has occurred. The file format requested
>> does not appear to be supported, could not open (/myhome/
>> era40/2002/e4oper.an.pl.200208)"

To get started, when using NCL to open a data file, the file argument
string must contain the full or relative path of a
file with data in a supported format as well as an extension (a
suffix consisting of the final characters following the
last dot) that indicates the expected format.

     inFile = addfile("/myhome/era40/2002/e4oper.an.pl.200208.grb", "r")

[note the ".grb" extension indicating a grib file, which is the
format for ECMWF ERA-40 data]

You may rename your data file as such, or even easier, simply specify
the file name with the ".grb" extension to
indicate to NCL that you're trying to open a GRIB formatted data
file. NCL needs to know what type of data it is
trying to read. Please give this a try.

-Rick.
----
Rick Grubin NCAR/CISL/VETS