Re: ncl_convert2nc

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 10:39:28 -0600

On Apr 21, 2007, at 9:16 AM, Brad Eck wrote:

> I'm a brand new user NCL, which I'm trying to run with the Cygwin/X
> emulator.
>
> The only thing I need to do is convert some small GRIB files to netCDF
> format. I'm getting this error:
>
> [Brad_at_bradlaptop01 /usr/local]$ ncl_convert2nc DecPrecip.grb
> Processing file: DecPrecip.grb...
> Copyright (C) 1995-2006 - All Rights Reserved
> NCAR Command Language Version 4.2.0.a034
> The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
> See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
> fatal:_NclCreateFile: Requested file does not exist as
> (/usr/local/DecPrecip.grb
> ) or as (/usr/local/DecPrecip), can't add file
> warning:FileSetFileOption: invalid file or format
> fatal:_NclIGetFileVarNames: file does not exist
> fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 166 in file
> /tmp/tmp2616.ncl
>

> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Brad

Hi Brad,

I have to ask the obvious question first, and that is, what exactly is
the file name, and where
does the file reside? The above error message is indicating that it
can't find the file.

Since you are in the directory /usr/local, the file must be in
/usr/local, and it must be called
"DecPrecip" or "DecPrecip.grb". Perhaps the file is actually in another
directory? If so, you
need to cd to that directory and then run the command, or else include
the full path to the file.

For example, if the file is in /home/brad and is called "DecPrecip",
then you would use:

    ncl_convert2nc /home/brad/DecPrecip.grb

or

   cd /home/brad
   ncl_convert2nc DecPrecip.grb

If the file *does* exist, and ncl_convert2nc is just not seeing it for
some reason, please email me and let me know. It would
also help if you could send the file.

Thanks,