muli-plot and labelbar alignment

From: Sang-ki Lee <Sang-ki.Lee_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 18:02:59 -0400

Hi,

I use gsnPanelTop, gsnPanelBottom, gsnPanelLeft and gsnPanelRight
resources to place multi-panel plots.

For example:
  pan2_at_gsnPanelTop = 0.950
  pan2_at_gsnPanelBottom = 0.600
  pan2_at_gsnPanelLeft = 0.000
  pan2_at_gsnPanelRight = 1.000
  gsn_panel(wks,plot_a,(/1,1/),pan2)
  pan2_at_gsnPanelTop = 0.500
  pan2_at_gsnPanelBottom = 0.150
  pan2_at_gsnPanelLeft = 0.000
  pan2_at_gsnPanelRight = 1.000
  gsn_panel(wks,plot_b,(/1,1/),pan2)

But, unless the plot_a and Plot_b in the above example have the same
styles, sometime, the two plots are not exactly aligned. Then, I have
to experiments with the "gsnPanelTop[Bottom, Left and Right] to align
them. This is a very tedious job.

It would be better if "gsnPanelTop" indicate the NDCGrid point of
the top X axis. Likewise, "gsnPanelLeft" should indicate the NDCGrid
point of the left Y axis. Is there any way to do that?

In ferret, this can be done by using "/axis" option:
define viewport/axes/xlim=0.100,0.490/ylim=0.765, 0.900/text=0.6 v01

Related to this issue is labelbar. I would like to have the label bar
that starts at the left X axis and ends at Right X axis. To achieve
this, I have to change lbLeftMarginF and lbRightMarginF for each plot.

Thank you.

Sang-ki
Dr. Sang-ki Lee
RSMAS/CIMAS