Re: multiple overlays

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:52:14 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Joe,

I don't know what the upper limit is on the number of overlays, but
you can certainly do at least three.

The key is that you need to set up a base plot, which is usually a map
(that can already have contours or vectors overlaid on it). Then, as
long as the data that you want to contour and vectororize for the rest
of the plots have latitutde/longitude coordinate information included,
you can overlay these on the base plot.

A crude example:

; All data must have lat/lon coordinate arrays
   contour_plot1 = gsn_csm_contour(wks,data1,cnres1)
   contour_plot2 = gsn_csm_contour(wks,data2,cnres2)
   vector_plot = gsn_csm_vector(wks,u1,v1,vcres)
   map_plot = gsn_csm_map(wks,mpres)

   overlay(map_plot,contour_plot1)
   overlay(map_plot,contour_plot2)
   overlay(map_plot,vector_plot2)

   draw(map_plot)
   frame(wks)

For a complete example, please see example 3 on the new TIGGE
applications page that Adam created:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/tigge.shtml

This particular example is overlaying several contour plots,
but the same principle can be applied for vector plots.

--Mary