Re: How to interpolate low resolution data to high resolution?

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:59:53 -0600

I had replied to "Lawrence" but forgot to include ncl-talk.
He sent a clarification to me offline. See below

=======
I am not sure what you mean by 'quite different from the original'
Generally, interpolation will not maintain the high/low values
from the high resolution grid.

In the case you mention, linint2 searches for the 4 nearest
grid points of the high res grid that surrounds a low res
grid point. It then computes a weighted average of the 4
high res points. The weights are a function of the distance
of the distance from the low res point.

Averaging is a smoother. Also, if the low res grid points
do not match where the high res grid points have max/min
values, you will not see those in the low res grid.

When going from high->low res the grid will *always* look smoother
mo matter what interpolator you use. There is no way to preserve the
detailed
features.