Re: Rainbow Colortable

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 07:39:36 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Lunde, Bruce N CIV NAVOCEANO, NP1 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just a minor detail: The plain "rainbow" colortable does not
> match the rainbow colortable in "rainbow+white", etc. The
> beginning colors do not seem to match.
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/color_table_gallery.shtml
>
> Bruce

Hi Bruce,

You're right about this. I don't think these colormaps were intended
to be similar, even though the names would lead you to believe that.

Just FYI, in case others don't know how to do this: the best way to
get the "rainbow" color map with white added is to use the NhlNewColor
function:

    wks = gsn_open_wks("ps","color")
    gsn_define_colormap(wks,"rainbow")
    i = NhlNewColor(wks,1.,1.,1.)

You can then use gsn_draw_colormap to see what the new color map
looks like:

   gsn_draw_colormap(wks)