dim_stat4 and missing_values

From: Jamie Scott <James.D.Scott_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:38:09 -0600

I have a 3D array dimensioned x(lat,lon,time) that I'm passing to
dim_stat4. The array has
all values over land set to missing_value (and _FillValue). When
the array is passed to dim_stat4 (or stat4),
I get an error: "fatal:stat4: The first input array contains all
missing values."

Apparently it's complaining about the land points where all time
values are set to _FillValue. I had hoped the function
would return _FillValue for these points and compute the statistics
over the ocean grid points that are not set to _FillValue. :(

So I'd like to pass the non-land points only in a 2D array
(npts,time) to dim_stat4 and take the resulting array (4,npts) and
put it
back into the lat/lon grid (4,lat,lon) in the correct non-missing
(ocean points) locations. I figure I need to use ndtooned, ind,
ind_resolve
and onedtond in some capacity, but am struggling with this problem.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

-Thanks,

Jamie Scott
NOAA/ESRL/PSD