More on Behaviour of system() Command

From: Bruce Lunde <brucelunde_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:53:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

Adding to my previous email about the system() command:

I did try setting the PAGER env. var. to empty via

bash 504> export PAGER=

and then bringing up NCL. NCL still tries to pipe the
output of the system() command by appending a "|" to
the input system command:

EXAMPLE 1:

ncl 0> system("ls")
sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file

EXAMPLE 2:

ncl 1> system("date &")
sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
sh: -c: line 0: `date & | '

EXAMPLE 3:

ncl 6> print(getenv("HOME"))
warning:Error Forking pager check PAGER environment variable and restart,
continuing using "more"

Setting PAGER to empty is not what I was looking for,
but I thought I would try it.

Thanks, Bruce