Re: panel plots with different sizes

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:40:48 -0600 (MDT)

Hi James,

I think the kind of plots you are trying panel are better done using
gsn_panel to panel the contour plots, but then not using gsn_panel for
the scatter plots, but rather using vp* resources to place and size
the scatter plots as you want them. I say this because it is going to
be difficult to get the scatter plots to line up with your contour
plots using gsn_panel.

What I suggest is to go ahead and panel the contour plots just like
you are already doing, but set the panel resource "gsnPanelDebug" to
True, so that it prints out the values that it uses for the positions
and sizes of your size contour plots.

Then, let gsn_xy draw the scatter plots, but resize them yourself
using the vpXF, vpYF, vpWidthF, and vpHeightF resources. You can
get an idea of what values to use for these resources from the debug
information printed out by gsn_panel.

If you are not sure about all this, then can you email me separately
and let me know if you can provide me with your data and full script?
I can then try to modify it for you. This would be another good
example to add to our panel page as well, if you are willing.

--Mary