[Question] real time synoptic data for weather maps?

From: Zhuanshi He <zhuanshi.he_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:51:57 -0400

Hi,

I got two questions when I tried to find real time synoptic data.

1.

Are there any historial or real time synoptic surface station data
simliar to those used by examples (imdat) listed in
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/weather_sym.shtml

where, imdat is a string (or array) of 50 characters encoded as per
the WMO/NOAA guidelines.

2.

It looks some netcdf files located at

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/decoded/netcdf/surface/synoptic/

and ASCII files at
http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/SL.us008001/DF.an/DC.sflnd/DS.synop/

are almost realtime data.

The question is, does anyone tried to used those data (maybe need some
encode or decode) to create synoptic weather maps using NCL or NCARG.
Any examples?

Thanks so much!

ZHUANSHI.HE
WCSA, U of Waterloo, CANADA