Re: non color skew T for publication

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 15:27:25 -0700

The .hluresfile was not specifically targeting the skewT plot.
It is the file NCL recommends to be installed.
It overrides some defaults; increases workspace; etc

I am not sure what to say .... It may be that
the code will have to be modified.

No matter .... I have no idea why you are getting white barbs
under any circumstances.

adams_at_dca.ufcg.edu.br wrote:
> HI Dennis et al.,
> I think I failed to mention that I am plotting two profiles on the same
> skew T. The new .hluresfile that you sent me didn't change the problem of
> white wind barbs on the white part of the skew T diagram.
>
> Dave
>

>> [1] Do you have the recommended .hluresfile in your
>> home directory?
>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/hlures.shtml
>>
>> [2] I don't understand why the barbs are white. By default,
>> the color of the wind barbs is the same as the temperature curve.
>>

>> See the discussion at the top of:
>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/skewt.shtml
>>
>> dataOpts = True
>> dataOpts_at_colWindP = "black" ; default -> "Foreground"
>> ; Winds at geopotential [Z]
>> levels
>> dataOpts_at_colWindZ = "black" ; default -> "Foreground"
>> ; Winds at pibal Height levels
>> dataOpts_at_colWindH = "black" ; default -> "Foreground"
>>

>> adams_at_dca.ufcg.edu.br wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> yes, this does give a grayscale for the skew T. The only problem is the
>>> wind barbs blend into the background (white on white) for certain
>>> regions
>>> of the chart.
>>>
>>> Dave

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |