Re: Array dimension reduction

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:36:03 -0700

I have sent the question below to wrfhelp_at_ucar.edu

This is a WRF generated script.

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/graphics/NCL/Examples/PressureLevel2/index.htm

jimmyc_at_iastate.edu wrote:
> All-
> I am running the wrf regional climate model and I am trying to create
> monthly average wind speed and wind vectors at 850 hPa.
>
> I am using the wrf_PressureLevel1.ncl script with some modifications.
> I am trying to do this:
> savg = dim_avg(sped(level,:,:,:)) ; this works
> ss = savg(0,:,:) ; this does not work error=number of subscripts do
> not match
>
> ss is a 2d variable and savg is a 3d variable. The Array Dimension
> Reduction page says that is you specify the first element, then the
> array size reduces by 1. What is the simplest way to take a 3d array
> and make it 2d (for the rightmost 2 dimensions)?

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |