cloud overlap calculations: minimizing do-loops

From: guillaume mauger <gmauger_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:31:02 -0800

Hello All,

I'm attempting to calculate estimated low, mid, and high cloud fractions
from a 4D array of gridbox cloud fractions, and in doing so implement
the same maximum-random overlap assumption used in CAM.

Aside from the fact that both the cloud fraction and pressure level
variables are 4D (since I'm converting from sigma levels), implementing
the maximum-random overlap assumption seems to necessitate looking at
each column separately (I can't just take an average, or assume maximum
overlap, etc).

I assume the only way to accomplish this is with do-loops? This is what
I'm currently doing, but wanted to test the waters for a more efficient
algorithm.

Thanks,
guillaume

--