Problems with MediumRes and LowRes geography??

From: Christian Pagé <page.christian_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:59:32 +0100

Hello,

I was trying to include French departments in my NCL plots, while I
discovered some inconsistencies between geography at different resolutions
in NCL (I am using 5.0.0).
In fact, I imported the French departments lat+lon polygons from my projects
which are using GMT (Generic Mapping Tool).
I plotted these successfully with NCL using gsn_add_polyline, but there was
a mis-alignment between these and the MediumRes geography contours.
To verify, I imported the RANGS HighRes database, and plotted the
departments contour on top of the HighRes geography using the exact same NCL
script.
There is no mis-alignment in that case : they fit perfectly.

I thus suspect a problem in the MediumRes (and LowRes) database... In my
other projects using GMT and these French departments outlines, all the
features seem to fit perfectly with the geography borders.

I am including three gif images to show the problem.

Best regards

--
Christian Pagé