Re: grib2 templates

From: Rick Grubin <grubin_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:32:39 -0700

Hello Alberto,

Apologies for the delayed response, some time was needed to fully
research this issue:

> I tried to nc_convert2nc a grib2 file but I got the error:
> getpdstemplate: PDS Template 4.40 not defined.
> Segmentation fault
>
> I think tempmate 4.40 is part of not yet official grib2 set.
> However it is available within the grib_api 1.3.0 package @ecmwf.
>
> How can I tell ncl to use this template (and others) to manage
> conversion of this kind of files?

As you state, Template 4.40 is not part of the official WMO GRIB2
standard set. ECMWF can, and does, choose to
read it with their software tools.

At the moment, until such time as Template 4.40 becomes part of the
standard set, NCL does not have a way to
be told to manage this template.

I am looking into modifying certain codes to be able to do so, and
will let you know more as soon as possible.
Thanks for your patience.

----
Rick Grubin NCAR/TDD/CISL/VETS
Visualization + Enabling Technologies