Re: XEyes works, but everything else is a blank white box

From: Gerry Creager <gerry.creager_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:44:32 -0500

Howdy, Williamm

Valkhorn_at_aol.com wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu Server 64 bit version 7.10.

You do have NCAR Graphics and netcdf installed, right?

> How do you run the display interactively or instrument print statements
> to figure out where its going?

First, are you on the system you want to run NCL on? As in, sitting at
the console? I'm assuming the answer is "yes" as you were playing with
Xeyes.

If that's the case, from a command line, execute the program without a
script file to execute, and you'll be in interactive mode. Then, you
can cut'n'paste lines in, and watch for errors.

instrumenting with prints is similar to the good old days (Fortran, for
me). See the function at
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/print.shtml

> Sorry I'm new to NCAR (I'm not a new programmer though) so I'm still
> learning how this thing works.

I'd say, Welcone, but I'm at texas a&m... and I'm an old programmer
(maybe older than Dennis:-).

Gerry

--
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager_at_tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983