Re: XEyes works, but everything else is a blank white box

From: <Valkhorn_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 01:29:58 EDT

Strange. It didn't generate it in X11, but when I tried it in PDF (or any
other format for that matter) it worked.

Thanks!

-William

In a message dated 4/13/2008 12:11:54 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
gerry.creager_at_tamu.edu writes:

Valkhorn_at_aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 4/12/2008 11:44:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> gerry.creager_at_tamu.edu writes:
>
> Howdy, Williamm
>
> Valkhorn_at_aol.com wrote:
> > I'm using Ubuntu Server 64 bit version 7.10.
>
> You do have NCAR Graphics and netcdf installed, right?
>
> NCAR yes, netcdf no as I wasn't aware I even needed it (if it's not in
> the documentation I won't tend to see it).

And A) it's late and B) I tend to install netcdf on everything that
needs it for other things... so it's on my systems. If the docs don't
call for it, OK.

> > How do you run the display interactively or instrument print
> statements
> > to figure out where its going?
>
> First, are you on the system you want to run NCL on? As in, sitting
at
> the console? I'm assuming the answer is "yes" as you were playing with
> Xeyes.
>
> Yes I'm on the system I want to run NCL on. I'm technically not at the
> computer since its about 10 feet away but I'm VNC'ed into it and I am
> root on the machine.

Never have tried to use VNC to accomplish this.

You might set your image type to X11 to show 'em interactively.

> If that's the case, from a command line, execute the program without a
> script file to execute, and you'll be in interactive mode. Then, you
> can cut'n'paste lines in, and watch for errors.
>
> Fancy. Let me try that.
>
> OK. I've gotten no errors. Still displays a white square I'm afraid.
>
> instrumenting with prints is similar to the good old days (Fortran, for
> me). See the function at
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/print.shtml
>
> > Sorry I'm new to NCAR (I'm not a new programmer though) so I'm still
> > learning how this thing works.
>
> I'd say, Welcone, but I'm at texas a&m... and I'm an old programmer
> (maybe older than Dennis:-).
>
> Thanks for the welcome. I've wanted to use this program for a while... I
> just can't seem to get past this hurdle here to actually see any output.
>
> By the way, I assume there's a way to save the output to a file correct?
> Maybe I could try that somewhere.

You should have something like this in your script:
; We generate plots, but what kind do we prefer?

type = "x11"
; type = "pdf"
; type = "ps"
; type = "ncgm"

Uncomment the type of file you want to create. It's interpretive so the
last one uncommented will take precedence. I personally never use ncgm.
You might try 'type = "png" ' and see if that one works for you...
otherwise save it as a pdf. That's a decent output format.

gerry

Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)