Re: PLCHHQ error

From: Andrew Mai <mai_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 02:02:11 -0600

Basit Khan wrote:

> I am using an ncl script that uses some wrf specific functions
> (wrf_surface1 script downloaded from wrf website). I am getting the
> following errors,
>
> PLCHHQ - CHARACTER NUMBER 34 (-) IS NOT A LEGAL FUNCTION CODE

Take a look at:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/function_code.shtml

In NCL Graphics text strings, there is a single character which
delineate the beginning and ending of what is called a /function code/
(here using the term as it is used in the above error message). This
single character is also called a function code in the above web page.
These /function codes /modify the appearance of text, select a different
font, do sub- and super-scripting, etc.

The default function code delineator is a colon (":") character, so if
you have a colon in your text string (usually used for titles, axis
labels, etc.), you will very likely see this error message. If you
insist that you want a colon in your label, the function code delineator
can be changed to some other character that would not normally appear in
any label. (I use "`", for example.) The above web page details two
different methods for making this change, one permanent and the other
temporary.

Andy

--
                        Andrew W. Mai
      ---  __o          National Center for Atmospheric Research