Re: Order of legends

From: Saji N. Hameed <saji_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 22:04:27 +0900

Dear Mary,

Thanks for the effort. We will create our own legend as you advised.

saji

* Mary Haley <haley_at_ucar.edu> [2008-05-23 16:57:02 -0600]:

> Saji,
>
> I had to double-check, but there's no way to reverse the automatic
> legend.
>
> You can, of course, create your own legend with gsn_legend_ndc or
> gsn_create_legend. See examples 6 and 8 at:
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/legend.shtml
>
> Meanwhile, we're looking into how easy it would be to add the
> capability to reverse an automatic legend. Seems like a reasonable
> thing to want to do!
>
> --Mary
>
> On Fri, 23 May 2008, Saji N. Hameed wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> It seems to me that the order of legend labels are managed internally
>> by NCL. This is giving me some trouble with a script we are developing.
>> In the script we have a certain ordering of data, for instance
>>
>> data(0,:)=u1
>> data(1,:)=v1
>> data(2,:)=u2
>> data(3,:)=v2
>>
>> When plotted, I expect the legends to be ordered (u1,v1,u2,v2).
>> However they come out in the reverse order (v2,u2,v1,u1). This behaviour
>> can also be seen in the following examples posted in the NCL website.
>>
>> http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Images/leg_5_lg.png
>> http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Images/leg_8_lg.png
>> (the order of legends are reversed in both plots compared to
>> the ordering of the data).
>>
>> Also compare http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Images/leg_4_lg.png with
>> http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Images/leg_5_lg.png
>>
>> Is there a way to control the ordering of legends?
>>
>> thanks,
>> saji

Saji N. Hameed
APEC Climate Center          				+82 51 668 7470
National Pension Corporation Busan Building 12F
Yeonsan 2-dong, Yeonje-gu, BUSAN 611705			saji_at_apcc21.net
KOREA