Re: WRF overlays

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:03:10 -0600 (MDT)

Jimmy,

The error message you're getting indicates something is probably
syntactically wrong with your vort.ncl script, and not with
wrf_overlay per se. It's hard to tell from looking at the code
snippet, however.

The WRF-NCL plotting scripts are meant to be more black-box, and not
so much be customizable.

If you want to try to use gsn_csm_xxx functions to do your plotting,
then there are some examples that are similar to what you want to do.
See example WRF_lc_8 at:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrflc.shtml

This one generates vectors and contours over a map, but you can
substitute the "gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map" call with a call to
"gsn_csm_contour_map_overlay" which allows you to overlay two contour
plots.

To see an actual example of using gsn_csm_contour_map_overlay, see
example 2 at:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/conOncon.shtml

You still want to refer to the WRF_lc example for using WRF_map_c
to set up your map resources, but you can use the above example
for tips on how to set up your two contouring resource lists.

--Mary