Re: Re: [ncl-talk] Making a wrf_contour plot wider

From: Jan Ploski <Jan.Ploski_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:57:36 +0200

Mary Haley <haley_at_ucar.edu> schrieb am 06/17/2008 12:46:54 AM:

> Jan,
>
> Setting res_at_vpWidthF seems to work for me when I call wrf_contour, but
> I also had to set the res_at_vpXF resource to 0.07 to shift it closer to
> the left side to make room for a wider plot.

Mary,

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it does not work for me.

> Are you just calling wrf_contour, or other plotting routines as well,
> like wrf_overlay?

I'm also calling wrf_map_overlay after wrf_contour. I tried tweaking
vpWidthF and vpXF as can be seen in the uploaded script and outputs:

http://bi.offis.uni-oldenburg.de/wrf_contour/

Setting vpXF=0.0 and vpWidthF=1.0 didn't help. Passing the same resource
(instead of False) to wrf_map_overlay had no effect either.

I have general trouble understanding how the width of the plot (e.g., in
PostScript points) is calculated by NCL - all the vpXXX coordinates and
dimensions are relative to the "plotting device space", but what
determines how wide the whole plotting device is? I tried setting
type_at_wkDeviceUpperX = 1000 when initializing the workstation, but it
didn't change anything.

Regards,
Jan Ploski