Re: Re: [ncl-talk] Making a wrf_contour plot wider

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:05:27 -0600 (MDT)

Jan,

When you draw map projections with NCL, NCL doesn't (by default) want
to allow you to change the aspect ratio of the map.

If you want to make this map wider (hence skewing the map projection),
then you need to set the resource mpShapeMode to "FreeAspect".

In your script, I believe you just need to add the following two
resources (I tried it on a sample WRF script and it worked for me):

         res_at_mpShapeMode = "FreeAspect"
         res_at_vpWidthF = 0.8 ; Or whatever width you want.
         map = wrf_map(wks, a, res)

I should point out that the wrf_xxxx plotting scripts are not meant to
be highly customizable. If you don't need these WRF style of scripts
(with the automatic extra titles at the top), then you can use
gsn_csm_xxxx routines, combined with WRF_map_c. You can see some
examples at:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrf.shtml

--Mary