Re: Re: [ncl-talk] Making a wrf_contour plot wider

From: Jan Ploski <Jan.Ploski_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:21:03 +0200

Mary Haley <haley_at_ucar.edu> schrieb am 06/19/2008 11:09:31 PM:

> Jan,
>
> We can try one more thing: turn off gsnMaximize.
>
> So, before your call to wrf_map_overlay, you will need to
> add a new resource list:
>
> opts2 = True
> opts2_at_vpWidthF = 0.7 ; Or whatever you want
> opts2_at_gsnMaximize = False
>
> wrf_map_overlay(wks, map, (/ contour /), opts2)
>
> I don't know if this is actually going to fix your titles, however.

Mary,

It made the titles disappear altogether and the plot area was filled by a
jumbo-sized diagram - regardless of what vpWidthF value I specified. I'd
rather expect this to happen gsnMaximize = True rather than gsnMaximize =
False, but who knows...

> If you want to go the gsn_csm route, let me know and I'll see
> what I can do. I already have your script, but it would really
> help if I could also get your data.

Sure - I now also uploaded the data (and updated the script to match the
new file name):

http://bi.offis.uni-oldenburg.de/wrf_contour/

(frame_1c.jpg shows the result of gsnMaximize = False)

> This brings up something that might be worth doing: creating a special
> page for WRF folks showing how to go from using wrf_xxx functions to
> gsn_csm_xxx functions, in case the "black box" routines are not quite
> working out for them.

Indeed. I tried to study the WRFUserARW.ncl code (and files included
recursively). I would probably manage to find out how to hack it, but it
seems like a great effort for a small improvement. In the end, I just gave
up and shortened the title to make the plots look about right for the
scheduled presentation, but I thought it'd be interesting to find out how
to do it right next time.

> In the next release of NCL, the wrf_xxxx routines will have been
> updated to allow more control over titles, like turning them off
> individually, I think. The "wrfhelp_at_ucar.edu" folks might be able to
> describe this new functionality in more detail.

I can also wait until the functionality makes it into the official
documentation :-)

Regards,
Jan Ploski