Re: WRF nested domains-problems with using contour-on-contour example 9

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:50:54 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Yongxin Zhang wrote:

> I need to plot WRF domains with two nests (D01->D02->D03) and the
> contour-on-contour example 9 (conOncon_9.ncl) is exactly what I need. I
> copied every line from conOncon_9.ncl and used my datasets but I got
> problems when NCL ran "plot2 = gsn_csm_contour(wks,hgtd02,res2)". The error
> messages are as follows
>
> 23 cascade% ncl < WRFDomains_2nests.ncl
> Copyright (C) 1995-2007 - All Rights Reserved
> NCAR Command Language Version 4.3.1
> The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
> See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
> warning:mpOutlineBoundarySets is not a valid resource in
> WRFDomains_2nests_contour at this time
> warning:tmYLMinorLengthF is not a valid resource in
> WRFDomains_2nests_contour.PlotManager at this time
> warning:NhlGetValues:Error retrieving tmYLMinorLengthF
> fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 2288 in file
> $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl

Hi Yongxin,

When you get error messages that say "xxxx is not a valid resource..."
this usually means the resource name was misspelled, or is
being applied to the wrong kind of plot.

In your case, you are applying some map resources to a contour plot,
which is not valid. The "gsn_csm_contour" routine will not recognize
map resources. You are attaching some map resources to "cnres", and then
copying "cnres" to "res2" which is then being passed to
"gsn_csm_contour". You might want to create "res2" from scratch, or
else make sure that "cnres" is copied to "res2" before you
attach any map resources.

If you are able to provide me with your WRF datasets, I can probably
help you get up and running with your script.

--Mary