NCL vs. GrADS plotting performance

From: Jan Ploski <Jan.Ploski_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:28:07 +0200

Hi,

Can anyone share some experience with how NCL plotting performance (as in:
execution times) compares to GrADS or possibly other plotting packages? I
am considering which visualization package would be best for a real-time
forecast web-site like this one: http://rtws.cdac.in/ As far as I can see,
they use GrADS rather than NCL. My own anecdotal experience with
NCL+ImageMagick for generating a few hundred images makes me worried that
it might not scale up, as it took hours to generate nice-looking plots
with cnFillMode=AreaFill (ugly plots with cnFillMode=RasterFill could be
done considerably faster). I would be much relieved if someone could point
me to an existing production site like the one I linked to, but using NCL
for visualization. Maybe someone on this list has implemented such a
service already. I have no experience with GrADS, so it is difficult for
me to just run some side-by-side benchmarks to find out the relative
performance.

Best regards,
Jan Ploski