Re: NCL vs. GrADS plotting performance

From: Saji N Hameed <saji_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 03:58:29 +0900

Dear Jan,

We are developing our production site, or rather a tool kit, that is
based on NCL and Ruby Rails. We have no issues with speed or not
concerned too much about it. The site is offline for the weekend, but
will be up on Monday. The URL is

http://210.98.49.39:3000

It is a development project, so no fancy stuff (yet).

Caching strategies are also used to speed up user request (or rather to
avoid making the same plots again and again).

saji

* Jan Ploski <Jan.Ploski_at_offis.de> [2008-07-25 11:28:07 +0200]:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone share some experience with how NCL plotting performance (as in:
> execution times) compares to GrADS or possibly other plotting packages? I
> am considering which visualization package would be best for a real-time
> forecast web-site like this one: http://rtws.cdac.in/ As far as I can see,
> they use GrADS rather than NCL. My own anecdotal experience with
> NCL+ImageMagick for generating a few hundred images makes me worried that
> it might not scale up, as it took hours to generate nice-looking plots
> with cnFillMode=AreaFill (ugly plots with cnFillMode=RasterFill could be
> done considerably faster). I would be much relieved if someone could point
> me to an existing production site like the one I linked to, but using NCL
> for visualization. Maybe someone on this list has implemented such a
> service already. I have no experience with GrADS, so it is difficult for
> me to just run some side-by-side benchmarks to find out the relative
> performance.
>
> Best regards,
> Jan Ploski

Saji N. Hameed
APEC Climate Center          				+82 51 668 7470
National Pension Corporation Busan Building 12F
Yeonsan 2-dong, Yeonje-gu, BUSAN 611705			saji_at_apcc21.net
KOREA