colormap confusion - continent color & colormap options

From: Leslie Hartten <Leslie.M.Hartten_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:01:53 -0600

   I am new to NCL and trying to start simple, by drawing a base map of
the tropical Atlantic. I am playing with color tables because (1) I
want to have a very light grey lat/lon grid and (2) I'm going to want to
put things on the base map eventually. I'm using NCL v5.0.1 on a Mac
OSX system on which I have no adminstrator priviledges. I've got 1
question and 1 problem.

   The question: When I look in my $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/colormaps, I do
not see any of the following gray scale colormaps: gsdtol,
gsltod_default, gscyclic (c.f.
www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/grayscale_gr.shtml). Why
is this? are they kept somewhere else?

   The problem: Given the following key lines of code:
=====
   wks = gsn_open_wks("ps","TropAtlantic")

; gsn_define_colormap(wks,"gui_default") ; *.rgb file
; gsn_define_colormap(wks,"rainbow+gray") ; *.gp file
; gsn_define_colormap(wks,"so4_23") ; *.gp file
; gsn_define_colormap(wks,"amwg") ; *.rgb file

   map = gsn_csm_map_ce(wks,mpres)
=====
- when I run this code with no call to gsn_define_colormap (thus using
*wkColorMap : rainbow+gray
from my .hluresfile, I get grey land and a white ocean.

- when I run this code with gsn_define_colormap(wks,"gui_default"), an
ncolors=24 rainbow with no gray, I get no visible land and a white ocean.

- when I run this code with an explict call matching my .hluresfile,
gsn_define_colormap(wks,"rainbow+gray"), I get grey land and a white ocean.

- when use gsn_define_colormap(wks,"so4_23"), another small (ncolors=25)
rainbow with no gray, I get light pink land and a white ocean! I
printed the output and the color table from www.ncl.ucar.edu, and it
looks to me as if the land is color #23 (251,211,251).

- when use gsn_define_colormap(wks,"amwg"), one more small (ncolors=18)
rainbow with no gray, I get powder blue land. Comparing printed plot &
color table, it looks like color #6 (176,224,230).

   What's going on? The documentation for gsn_csm_map_ce says "the
following will happen automatically: the continents will be colored gray
...". Is this only true if the colormap in play has a gray? If I want
to plot something using a grey-free colormap on top of gray continents,
do I need to switch colormaps midstream?

Cheers,
   Leslie

--
Dr. Leslie M. Hartten
CIRES, Univ. of Colorado       email: Leslie.M.Hartten_at_noaa.gov