Re: How to get the nontransparent effect of gsn_add_annotation?

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:23:05 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, hjb wrote:

> Hi, everyone:
>
> The function of gsn_add_annotation(plotA,PlotB,res) makes the plotB to overllay the plotA transparently. That means that it can be still seen the contour of the plotA in the overlaid region. what can i do to stop this? That means how to make the overlaying to be nontransparent.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. plotA is your base plot, and plotB
is your overlay plot, so you should be seeing plotB's elements on top of
plotA's elements. It depends on how you set up these two plots, whether
or not you'll be able to see them both. For example, if plotA were a line
contour plot, and plotB were a filled contour plot, then you won't be able to
see plotA, because the filled contours cover the line contours. If it's the
other way around, however, you will see the line contours on top of the
filled contours, because the areas between the line contours are not filled
with anything, and hence they won't cover what's underneath.

Maybe you need to make the data for plotB be in your base plot, and
make the data for plotA be your overlay plot?

For example, if you have:

   plotA = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,data1,res1)
   plotB = gsn_csm_contour(wks,data2,res2)

Maybe what you want is:

   plotA = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,data2,res2)
   plotB = gsn_csm_contour(wks,data1,res1)

Or, perhaps instead of using gsn_add_annotation, what you want
is just "overlay":

    overlay(plotA,plotB)
    draw(plotA)
    frame(wks)

> One more question, can other languages except English,such as Chinese, be displayed in the plot with NCL?

I'm afraid not. Only characters represented by the font tables at:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/font_tables.shtml

can be used.

--Mary