Re: Analysis over Irregular Region

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:16:33 -0600

I guess there was no online response to the original question.
That is unusual. Usually every question gets answered.

---
The mask must be created manually.
Assuming that the grids have 2-dimensional lat/lon
arrays (say XLAT and XLON, eg lambert-conformal)
I think you will have todo something like:
     regMask = new ((/nlat,mlon/), integer)
Then set each point to a mask value:
0=NW, 1=N, 2=A, 3=NO, 4=SO
Since A looks like the largest region, I'd first set
      regMask = 2
Then use something like the "where" function
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/where.shtml
to set large groups of grid points to the other regions,
       regmask = where ( xlat.ge.47.25 .and. xlon.le.8.5, 0, regmask)
       regmask = where ( xlat.ge.48.   .and.
                        (xlon.ge.9.0 .and. xlon.le.14) ,  1, regmask)
       etc
Without some external infomation, I doubt there is anyway
that you will avoid this type of approach. Probably even
setting individual grid points.
I would save to a netCDF file.
      regMask_at_long_name = "Region Mask"
      regMask_at_units     = "0=NW, 1=N, 2=A, 3=NO, 4=SO"
      regMask!0 = " ... "    ; use same name as xlat
      regMask!1 = " ... "
      system("/bin/rm -f REGMASK.nc")   ; remove any previous instance
      fout = addfile ("REGMASK.nc", "c")
      fout->rmask = regMask