Re: new map projections in next release

From: David Kennison <kennison_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 22:11:32 -0600

The old Mollweide (which we have always tried to be careful to call a
Mollweide-type) is a bit more than "not quite correct": Like a true
Mollweide, it has an elliptical perimeter twice as wide as it is high
(though with different dimensions) and its parallels are straight and
horizontal, as in a true Mollweide, but the shapes of the land masses
are noticeably different. Once I had the true Mollweide working and
could see the two projections side-by-side, it became much more
evident to me how different they really are.

Dave Kennison