Re: arcview shapefiles

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:30:47 -0700 (MST)

Hi Michael,

I meant to respond to this yesterday, but got swept up in a user
problem.

NCL currently doesn't have any way to deal with shapefiles, but it is
a hot topic for the developers right now.

The classic NetCDF model (NetCDF-3), which NCL is based on, is not a
good model for shapefiles given their structure. The NetCDF-4 model is
a better fit, but NCL doesn't fully support this yet.

We will continue to discuss this and keep folks posted.

Meanwhile, I tried to google this topic, but mostly, it seems there
netcdf-to-shapefiles applications, rather than the other way around.

Does anybody else have some suggestions for Michael?

--Mary