Re: arcview shapefiles

From: Glen Romine <romine_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:25:23 -0600

Michael,

I may have missed a response to this, if so I apologize, but you may
want to look at the FWTools package to convert shapefiles to text, which
I found not too painful for my application. Specifically, the ogr2ogr
command line utility within the package allows for type conversion
between a variety of GIS related formats - perhaps directly to hdf or
netcdf according to the documentation, though I haven't tried this
personally. I converted a shapefile to a Mapinfo file (MIF format) which
is a text format file of lon/lat pairs for each defined region that you
could then potentially read in with ncl. Good luck.

Glen