Re: how to plot CCSM-T85 gird lines

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:58:28 -0700 (MST)

Hi Sanjiv,

You don't have much control over the map lat/lon lines, other than to
indicate the spacing. And, because of this, I think NCL tries to use
"nice" values, like 15, 30, 45, etc, rather than decimal values like
15.4, 16.2, etc.

As another bit of information: the map lat/lon lines being drawn
have nothing to do with the map tickmarks and their labels. That's
why they don't necessarily line up.

I think what you want to do here is not use the map lat/lon lines, but
instead, use grid lines from the tickmarks.

I've shown you below how to set the begin and end tickmarks,
with a spacing. In addition, you should be able to get
grid lines by setting:

   res_at_tmXMajorGrid = True
   res_at_tmYMajorGrid = True

You can further set a dash pattern for each:

   res_at_tmXMajorGridLineDashPattern = 2
   res_at_tmYMajorGridLineDashPattern = 2

There are a few other grid line resources. See:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/tm.shtml

for a list (search on "tmXMajor" or "tmYMajor").

--Mary