Re: NCL operationally

From: Dave Allured <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:39:36 -0700

You might consider using the "experimental" PNG driver to make PNG
files directly from NCL:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/FAQ/#o_formats_003

I made some hi-rez PNG plots over a North America subset. The
quality seems better than with convert. You can check out some demo
plots and the script here:

   http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/people/dave.allured/data/ncl/png/

The only drawback so far is that the PNG driver is slow. For a 3000
x 3000 pixel PNG, and grid size 321 x 161, the run time increased by
about 50 seconds.

Dave Allured
CU/CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC)
http://cires.colorado.edu/science/centers/cdc/
NOAA/ESRL/PSD, Climate Analysis Branch (CAB)
http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/