Re: minor issues with xy graph

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:39:20 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 Mark.Collier_at_csiro.au wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm struggling with 3 minor issues with xy graphs. I have attached the script and file as they are <1mb. I use explicit years but cannot find a way to finish at year 2007 (or worse case 2010 rather than default 2020).

Mark,

Set the trXMaxF resource to control the maximum value on the X axis
when you create the individual plots, not during the gsn_panel call.

res_at_trXMaxF = 2007

You can't control the look of individual plots when you call gsn_panel.
This needs to be done when you do the gsn_csm_xy calls.

> Secondly I would like to reduce the whitespace between panels, my previous lessons with filled contour panels have not worked here.

The problem is that your plots are not the same size. Your third plot
is larger than the first two, because you've added tickmark labels and
the "Year" label. The second plot is larger than the first one because
you've added a Y axis label.

gsn_panel assumes all plots are the same size, and uses the first plot
by default to determine the scale factor for the rest of the plots.

You can work around this. You can control the location of the three
plots by using the special gsnPanelYF resource, which indicates the Y
location of the top left corner of your plot.

Try:

resP_at_gsnPanelYF = (/0.9, 0.72, 0.54/)

  Thirdlay, I am trying to put a Y-axis label which preferably would be big enough and
> stretch across more than the viewport of the middle panel (e.g. Rainfall (mm)).

Again, because your plots are different sizes, there wasn't enough
room left for the second plot to have a Y axis label. You can force
space on the left side of the paneled plots by using the gsnPanelLeft
resource:

resP_at_gsnPanelLeft = 0.05

See attached new script.

--Mary