Re: y-axis labels control

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:10:49 -0600

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 19:17:39 -0300
  Mateus Teixeira <mateus.teixeira_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear NCL users,
>
> When I plot a XY graphic using the following resources
>
> res_at_tmYLMode = "Explicit"
> res_at_tmYLValues = < locations of Y tickmarks >
> res_at_tmYLLabels = < labels for Y tickmarks >
>
> I can't define and plot the title for Y axis. The
>gsn_csm_xy documentation
> says that if data has the long_name attribute, it will
>be used to label X
> and Y axes. The x and y variables have the long_name
>attribute. When I don't
> use the above resources, Y axis is correctly labeled,
>but with these
> resources, it appears that long_name of y variable is
>ignored.

Mateus,

I checked the code for gsn_csm_xy, and apparently it is
explicitly turning off the Y axis string if the tickmarks
are explicitly labeled. I don't remember why this is
done, but I don't believe it's a bug. I will
document this.

To get a label, you can set:

    res_at_tiYAxisString = "...." ; or res_at_tiYAxisString =
y_at_long_name

> I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it really
>ignores long_name for
> Y variable because "Explicit" mode was set.
>
> By the way, my XY graphic is a Pressure X Values
>graphic, so I also tryied
> to configure a Y-log axis and define explicitly the
>tickmark labels, but
> couldn't. Is it possible to do?

Yes, it is possible. The key behind indicating which
tickmarks
you want labels on is to getting the tickmark values
(tmXBValues)
correct. If you are not seeing any labels, then
double-check
that you have the correct values for the axis you are
working
with. That is, make sure they are in the correct
range and have the correct units.

--Mary