Re: 1 plot, 2 variables, both shaded!

From: <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:24:48 -0600 (MDT)

Hi James,

You can definitely do a shade/stipple, and there are examples of plotting
two sets of contours:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/conOncon.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/coneff.shtml#ex14

For shade/shade plots, you need to set some areas of the field to be
overlaid to transparent fill (-1) to be able to see the underlying plot.
Since you need to set some areas to transparent, you cannot set cnFillMode
 "RasterFill" for the overlaid plot. (You can't raster fill and set areas
to transparent at the same time.)

A quick and simple example:

res = True
res_at_cnFillOn = True

sres = True
sres_at_cnFillOn = True
sres_at_cnLevelSelectionMode = "ExplicitLevels"
sres_at_cnLevels = (/95,98,99/)
sres_at_cnFillColors = (/-1,5,7,9/)

plot = gsn_csm_contour_map_overlay(wks,data0,data1,res,sres)

Hopefully this gets you on the right track..
Adam