Re: future scripts and a tarball of plot examples

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:36:30 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 Mark.Collier_at_csiro.au wrote:

> Hi,
> I have just 2 general questions?
>
> 1) is it possible for scripts in a future release (e.g. 5.1.1) be made available to be used in an existing installation (e.g. 5.1.0) where they work (ie rely only on the existing scripts and built-ins). This way users can begin to take advantage of features in an upcoming release and avoid writing temporary work arounds.

Hi Mark,

This is certainly a possibility. Most of the new functions we add tend
to be built-in functions, and we can't provide new "ncl" executables
for this purpose.

But, in the future, we will try provide access to new script functions
if it's feasible. Sometimes new NCL script functions depend on new
built-in functions, however.

Do you have a particular 5.1.1 script you want access to?

> 2) is there a tarball or complete set of NCAR examples (particularly for plotting) available? This would be a nice resource to grep on a unix system when looking for keywords rather than looking through them one by one via a browser (as is my current technique). The online search facility might catch these keywords in example scripts but other unwanted matches (e.g. old postings) may come up.

On the main Applications page, there's a link to a tar file:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/

Is this what you're talking about?

This tar file doesn't contain datasets. We have *some* datasets
available at

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Data/

To help with the issue of searching for examples that use a particular
resource or function, you can click on the "resources" or
"functions/procedures" link at the very top of the Applications
page. This will take you to a page that lists all of the resources (or
functions) that are referenced by an example, the list of examples
that reference them.

--Mary