Re: low-pass filter problem

From: guangshan chen <gchen9_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:17:34 -0500

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your kindness.
Now I am clear.

Bests

Guangshan
On Jun 8, 2009, at 3:44 PM, Dave Allured wrote:

> [...]
>>> check response curves for different specifications. It uses
>>> command line parameters, so you don't need to change the script.
>>> There are usage instructions in the header.
>>>
>>> Dave Allured
>>> CU/CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC)
>>> http://cires.colorado.edu/science/centers/cdc/
>>> NOAA/ESRL/PSD, Climate Analysis Branch (CAB)
>>> http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/psd1/

>>> ;-------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> ----------
>>> ;
>>> ; Plot filter responses.
>>> ;
>>> ; 2007-may-24 plot.lanczos:
>>> ; Original version, by Dave Allured.
>>> ; Lanczos, Fca=1/120, nwgt=61, high pass.
>>> ; 2007-may-25 Add command line option to print weights.
>>> ; 2007-jun-15 Add plot for time domain response.
>>> ; 2007-jun-18 30 day, 119 weights.
>>> ; 2008-mar-04 Add ps and pdf command line options.
>>> ;
>>> ; 2008-mar-18 plot-filter:
>>> ; Plot Lanczos filter response, all three filter types.
>>> ; Generalize. Add command line options for filter specs.
>>> ; Add auto centering for plots.
>>> ; 2009-jun-04 Add PNG output type.
>>> ; 2009-jun-04 Generalize, specify fca/fcb rather than t1/t2.
>>> ; Fix bottom alignment of weights curve.
>>> ;
>>> ;-------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> ----------
>>> ;
>>> ; Command line example:
>>> ;
>>> ; ncl plot-filter.lanczos.ncl lp=1 fca=.06 nwgt=83
>>> ;
>>> ; Command line parameters.
>>> ;
>>> ; hp=1 High pass Filter types, specify only one at a time.
>>> ; lp=1 Low pass
>>> ; bp=1 Band pass
>>> ;
>>> ; fca=n.n Low cutoff frequency (time steps, 0.0 < fca < 0.5)
>>> ; fcb=n.n High cutoff frequency, for band pass only (0.0 <
>>> fca < fcb)
>>> ;
>>> ; nwgt=nnn Number of filter weights
>>> ;
>>> ; (default) Output plot to X11 window
>>> ; ps=1 Output plot to postscript
>>> ; eps=1 Output plot to encapsulated postscript
>>> ; pdf=1 Output plot to PDF
>>> ; png=1 Output plot to PNG
>>> ;
>>> ; table=1 Also print table of filter weights
>>> ;
>>> ;-------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> ----------
>>>
>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
>>>
>>> begin
>>>
>>> ; Get command line parameters.
>>>
>>> formats = (/ "ps", "eps", "pdf", "png", "x11" /) ; output
>>> selector table
>>> x11 = 1 ; default = X11 window
>>> ifmt = ind (isdefined (formats(:))) ; find

>>> filter_names = (/ "lowpass", "highpass", "bandpass" /)
>>> alg_name = "lanczos"
>>>
>>> flags = isdefined (filter_table(:)) ; look up filter
>>> cmd in table
>>>
>>> if (.not. any (flags)) then
>>> print ("*** Abort: No filter type specified (hp=1, lp=1,
>>> bp=1).")
>>> exit
>>> end if
>>>
>>> if (num (flags) .gt. 1) then
>>> print("*** Abort: More than one filter type was specified
>>> (hp, lp, bp).")
>>> exit
>>> end if
>>>
>>> itype = ind (flags)
>>> filter_name = filter_names(itype)
>>> print ("Filter type = " + filter_name)
>>>
>>> if (filter_name .ne. "bandpass") then ; this makes fca, fcb
>>> etc. work
>>> fcb = fca ; out correctly in all cases
>>> end if
>>>
>>> t1 = 1.0 / fcb ; also t2 will always be highest
>>> t2 = 1.0 / fca
>>>
>>> if (filter_name .eq. "bandpass") then
>>> freq_str = fca + "-" + fcb
>>> ref_line_freq = (/ fca, fcb /)
>>> ref_line_time = (/ t1, t2 /)
>>> else
>>> freq_str = fca + ""
>>> ref_line_freq = fca
>>> ref_line_time = t1
>>> end if
>>>
>>> ; Generate filter weights using NCL built-in Lanczos function.
>>>
>>> nsigma = 1. ; fixed filter param.
>>>
>>> wgt = filwgts_lancos (nwgt, itype, fca, fcb, nsigma)
>>>
>>> xlim1 = 0 ; set X limits of frequency domain plot
>>> xlim2 = max ((/ fca + fcb, fcb * 1.5 /)) ; try to center
>>> response curve
>>> xlim2 = min ((/ xlim2, 0.5 /)) ; limit to Nyquist
>>> freq. (0.5)
>>>
>>> xrev1 = 0 ; set X limits of time domain plot
>>> xrev2 = max ((/ t1 + t2, t2 * 1.6 /)) ; try to center
>>> response curve
>>>
>>> ; Plot filter response.
>>>
>>> x = wgt_at_freq
>>> y = wgt_at_resp
>>>
>>> spec_string = freq_str + " " + filter_name +", " + nwgt + "
>>> weights"
>>>
>>> plotfile = alg_name + ".response." + freq_str + "-" + nwgt + "pt"
>>>
>>> wks = gsn_open_wks (output, plotfile)
>>>
>>> res = True
>>> res_at_tiMainString = "Lanczos filter, Response, " +
>>> spec_string
>>> res_at_tiXAxisString = "Frequency (cycles per time step)"
>>>
>>> res_at_tiMainFontHeightF = 0.018
>>> res_at_tiXAxisFontHeightF = 0.018
>>>
>>> res_at_gsnXRefLine = ref_line_freq
>>> res_at_gsnXRefLineDashPattern = 1
>>>
>>> res_at_tmXMajorGrid = True ; implement x grid
>>> res_at_tmXMajorGridThicknessF = 1.0 ; 2.0 is default
>>> res_at_tmXMajorGridLineDashPattern = 2 ; select short dash
>>> lines
>>>
>>> res_at_tmYMajorGrid = True ; implement y grid
>>> res_at_tmYMajorGridThicknessF = 1.0 ; 2.0 is default
>>> res_at_tmYMajorGridLineDashPattern = 2 ; select short dash
>>> lines
>>>
>>> res_at_gsnMaximize = True ; make plot fill the page
>>>
>>> res_at_trXMinF = xlim1 ; constrain plot
>>> horizontally
>>> res_at_trXMaxF = xlim2
>>>
>>> res_at_trYMinF = -0.1 ; constrain plot vertically
>>> res_at_trYMaxF = 1.1
>>>
>>> plot = gsn_csm_xy (wks, x, y, res)
>>>
>>> ; Plot filter weights.
>>>
>>> half = (nwgt-1) / 2.
>>> xi = fspan (-half, half, nwgt)
>>>
>>> res_at_tiMainString = "Lanczos filter, Weights, " +
>>> spec_string
>>> res_at_tiXAxisString = "Weight Position"
>>>
>>> res_at_trYMinF = min (wgt) - 0.05 ; constrain plot
>>> vertically
>>>
>>> delete (res_at_gsnXRefLine)
>>> delete (res_at_gsnXRefLineDashPattern)
>>> delete (res_at_trXMinF)