Re: WRF transect plot

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:42:40 -0600

I was asked offline for other functions:

For curvilinear grids, NCL has
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/rcm2points_Wrap.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/rcm2points.shtml

These could be used for just about any curvilinear grid.

--------------
For regular and quasi-regular grids, NCL has

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/linint2_points_Wrap.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/linint2_points.shtml

Michel dos Santos Mesquita wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> Thank you so much! This is exactly what we were looking for!
> Have a great day!
> Regards,
> Michel
>
> On Jun 10, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Dennis Shea wrote:
>
>> Looking at:
>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/wrf.shtml
>>
>> Would not the following do what you want?
>>
>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wrf_interp_2d_xy.shtml
>>

>> ---
>> Also, the WRF site has
>>
>> http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/NCL_examples.htm
>>
>> One example is for cross sections.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Michel dos Santos Mesquita wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I need to make a vertical-slice plot using some WRF dataset. The
>>> idea is to plot a variable in the vertical just like as it is shown
>>> here:
>>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Images/WRF_cn_2_lg.png
>>> but instead of plotting along a fixed latitude/longitude line, I
>>> would like to plot a vertical transect crossing different lat/lon
>>> lines. For example, if I want a vertical plot of a variable using a
>>> initial lat/lon, let's say, over Japan, and the end point over the
>>> Gulf of Alaska.
>>> I appreciate your help!
>>> Thanks,
>>> Michel

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |