Re: ncl performance

From: <Oliver.Fuhrer_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 07:52:34 +0200

Hi Dennis,

This might be a detail, but I think NCL is doing some multiprocessing...
We were benchmarking NCL for some time and investigating on how to use
it optimally on our dual core processors. Doing that we noted that NCARG
actually uses the "fork" command when finishing up graphics and thus
sometimes has 2 or even more (depending on how often your script is
finishing up a graphics file) parallel jobs running all using the same
amount of memory.

This feature was actually rather annoying to us as it sometimes led the
machine into swapping.

Cheers,
Oli

Oliver Fuhrer
Numerical Models

Federal Departement of Home Affairs FDHA
Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology MeteoSwiss

Kraehbuehlstrasse 58, P.O. Box 514, CH-8044 Zurich, Switzerland

Tel. +41 44 256 93 59
Fax +41 44 256 92 78
oliver.fuhrer_at_meteoswiss.ch
www.meteoswiss.ch - First-hand information