Re: ncl performance

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:36:39 -0600

Multithreading or multiprocessing or parallel processing??

AFAIK multithreading is more system level. I don't think this
is user controllable.

Multiprocessing: It is not done from the NCL level. The
user can spawn multiple jobs to run on different CPUs from
(say) a C-shell script. Of course, if you have only one
data channel per cpu to a common memory, the different processes
will still have IO 'conflicts' when reading/writing to a common
(shared) memory.

Parallel processing: Requires 'load balancing'' to work well.
Some algorithms [eg: eigenvector conputations] could be set
up to use this and (possibly) some graphics
calculations but, currently, NCL does not include this capability.