Re: Calendar: basic question

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:06:56 -0600

If you have an array (say) x(time,lat,lon) and time is daily data
(say) 365 days, then, conceptually, each 360-day calendar
corresponds to 1.01389 (365/360) days of the 365-day calendar

    cal365 = fspan(1,365,365)
    cal360 = ispan(1,365,360)
     xNew = linint1_Wrap **(cal365, x(lat|:,lon|:,time|:), False,
cal360, 0)
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/linint1_Wrap.shtml

----
HTH
Gwenaelle wrote:
> Thanks!
> Yes, I would prefer to make an interpolation instead of getting rid of
> the 5 or 6 days at the end of the month.
>
> What is the best way to do it?
>
> On Jun 12, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Dave Allured wrote:
>

>> Gwenaelle,
>>
>> You said "dataset" which implies that there is existing data
>> associated with 365-day and 366-day calendar dates.  If true, this
>> is not a simple problem.
>>

>> How do you see mapping the data itself from one time system to
>> another?  Interpolation?  Or simply discard 5 or 6 records each
>> year, to make the number of days come out right?
>>
>> Or do you want to simply transform the time axis, so that you still
>> have 365 or 366 time steps per year, but the time of day slowly
>> rotates and you occasionally have one date with two records?
>>
>> Please clarify what the intention is.
>>
>> Dave Allured
>> CU/CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC)
>> http://cires.colorado.edu/science/centers/cdc/
>> NOAA/ESRL/PSD, Climate Analysis Branch (CAB)
>> http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/psd1/
>>
>> Gwenaelle wrote:
>>
>>> Hi ncl-talk,
>>>
>>> I have a daily dataset and I would like to convert the time from
>>> (a) 365 days to 360 days
>>> and (b) from 366 days to 360 days.
>>>
>>> Is there any ncl functions or documentation for this job?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>> Gwenaelle

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |