Re: Unknown and unreasonable values when making

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 09:41:14 -0600

I just did the following and it worked fine ... including the plot

   diri = "./" ; input directory
   f = addfile (diri+"air.199001.nc", "r")

   xShort = f->air(10,:,:,:) ; (time=11,lev,lat,lon)
   if (isatt(xShort,"_FillValue") .and. isatt(xShort,"missing_value")) then
     if (xShort@_FillValue .ne. xShort_at_missing_value) then
       xShort@_FillValue = xShort_at_missing_value ; use alt. missing value
     end if ; only if needed
   end if

   x = short2flt(xShort) ; convert short=>float

   printVarSummary(x)

===
I speculate the problem with specific humidity, is related to
something you are doing. Use printVarSummary and printMinMax
to examine the variabe

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/printVarSummary.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/printMinMax.shtml