Re: COARDS-compliant

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 08:27:56 -0600

Mark Fenbers wrote:
> I just learned about and installed NCL today. My starting netCDF file
> is not COARDS-compliant, but ncl_filedump reads the file, interprets the
> information, and outputs variable:data pairs without errors. From what
> I read, I understand that ncl_convert2nc is capable of creating a
> COARDS-compliant netCDF file (presumably if given the proper options).

I believe that ncl_convert2nc will create COARDS compliant nc files from
grib1 or grib2 source files.

It will not convert non-COARDS compliant netCDF to COARDS-compliant.
Not sure that could be done.

It should be straight forward to write an NCL script that
converts your initial non-CF file to COARDS compliant.
You could then call that script.

> However, ncl_convert2nc will not ingest a netCDF file like ncl_filedump
> can.

This is not clear what you mean here.

> So how would I go about converting one netCDF file to another?

      fi = addfile("initial_file","r")
      fo = addfile("output_file.nc", "c")

then read all the variables frim 'fi';
use
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/getfilevarnames.shtml

loop over each variable; change what u want to change and output
each variable

Good luck