Viewports and Bounding Boxes

From: Lunde, Bruce N CIV NAVOCEANO, NP1 <bruce.lunde_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:53:35 -0400

Hello,

I had two (rambling) questions:

(1)
The issue of viewports and bounding boxes is
a bit confusing to me. Is there a good reference
or tutorial for this that shows how they relate
(maybe in a pictorial sense) ? Annotations have
viewports, plots have viewports, they are attached,
and some things you can change while others you
can not ... (can you draw a box around the different
viewports of your graphic ?)

I have seen the web page

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/HLUs/Classes/PlotManager.shtml

but could use some more help.

(2)
In a particular case, I am trying to make a pdf file,
but parts of my plot are being clipped. I guess there
is a default master viewport size ? And this could be
different for different workstations ?

I wish vpClipOn could be used to stop all clipping.

I don't allways like to use gsnMaximize because (1) it can
flip the orientation of my plot, and (2) there is still
some viewport limit (?true?).

I would like to be able to say that I want my pdf/eps/ps
plot in fixed portrait or landscape orientation, and then be
able to access any part of the page without being clipped.

Thanks for any help, Bruce